Friday, December 27, 2013

2014 Resolutions (part 1)

Now's the time when we all start reflecting on the past year and thinking about things that we'd like to change, update or be better at for the upcoming year. In the past couple years, I've made it a goal to try to reflect on my life a lot (is that's a nice way to say, I over-think things? Who knows..) because I find that it helps me find clarity, address any mistakes or problems, and usually grow. So in the spirit of seeing 2014 jumping up and down in front of me, I'm going to share where my head's at right now. I can't promise any resolutions, per se, but who knows, I might surprise myself!
  1. Get back into a consistent workout routine. The cold weather always throws me for a loop. I hate being cold and I feel completely unmotivated to workout during the dark, wintery months. I miss running outside and I just can't get into running in the snow and slush. I'm terrified of hurting myself. I've seen how everyone drives in the winter, I don't need to be any closer to the crazy winter drivers by running on the road. Speaking of running, I'm going to sign up for a bunch more races again this year. So far my list includes: Johnny's Runnin' of the Green (5 mi - usually in March), Lilac Festival (10k - in May), The Fast & the Furriest (10k - June), Boilermaker Road Race (15k - July)... That's all I've got so far. Maybe some fun runs thrown in the mix too - I had a blast at the Color Run and the Dirty Girl Mud Run when I did them last year. I'd also like to try some trail running this year - gotta get some new sneaks before I start that, though.
  2. Do more yoga. So here's my yoga story: I hated it in the beginning. I was so frustrated by the poses and my lack of balance that all I did was complain about it. My first experience with yoga was actually when I did P90X for the first time. I dreaded the yoga only days. But then I tried it again and really focused on my breathing and did the best I could while I was there and BAM! I loved it. I was going pretty regularly too, but then my tutoring schedule ate up my Wednesday yoga time and I've been slacking. I'd love to find a way to get back into a regular yoga routine. I'm contemplating ditching the gym membership to just go to a yoga studio, but I haven't fully decided yet. I just need more yoga in my life.
  3. Print more pictures. Facebook, Instagram and digital pictures are great. But I realized before the holidays that I don't have a lot of pictures printed out. I want albums and pictures full of pictures around my house. I want to reminisce while looking through pictures over a glass of wine. It's one of my favorite things to do. Plus I also offered to organize my family's photos into either albums, photo boxes, etc. so I need to get on that too.
  4. Spend more time outside. Especially when the weather is warm. Go to more parks, for more walks...basically appreciate the beautiful nature that we have in this area. I didn't get to go to either Letchworth Park or Stony Brook Park this year but both are definitely happening at least once in 2014.
  5. Read more. 2013 started off strong with me being in 2 book clubs but they both kind of fizzled out - people got busy, started new jobs, life happened. Maybe I'll start up a new BC in 2014... Either way, I want to read more. I'd like to make a goal of not going on the computer (unless I have to) once I get home. Sometimes I feel like I get sucked into Facebook or Pinterest and then I lose valuable reading time! Darn social media distrators!

No comments:

Post a Comment