Wednesday, February 12, 2014

New gym home

I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to make a new commitment to a gym. My old gym closed without notifying their members..that's long story short, no need to get into silly details. I'm looking at the scenario as an opportunity to try a new place. I'd been with my last gym/athletic club for about 5-6 years. I need a new gym for two reasons - first, I like to run and the sheer arctic temperatures and weather of this winter have been so extreme that I haven't been able to get outside to run at all (and I have a race coming up in March!) and secondly, I like going to the gym so I need a new place to be able to call "my gym".

That being said, there are also some things about being a member at a gym that drive me a little crazy. A friend of mine shared this article entitled "14 Gym Pet Peeves" and instead of me creating my own list this one encompasses a lot of the items that would be on mine too:
  • People who stand on the treadmill stretching instead of running or walking. I know you think it's perfectly reasonable to chat with your friend while she finishes her machine marathon but I would like to workout today too. And since there are no other treadmills available, I need YOU to get out of the way. Pronto. And don't give me the stank eye when I ask if you're finished. Because we both know you are. Move it, sister.
  • When people don't wear workout clothes. You know who I'm talking about. That guy who always wears jeans and a polo shirt...what's that about?
  • Guys (and girls..but mostly guys) who thinks that because we're both at the gym, it's a free pass to hit on me. Nope, actually I want you to leave me alone so I can go back to running. But this time I'm going to be running away from you. Kthanksbye! :)
  • People who think you need help with machines and try to offer their assistance - and NOT the folks who work at the gym, the other people. The I'm-a-gym-know-it-all-person. Yea, those people. Okay crazypants, step away from the StairMaster, please.
  • Cell phones at the gym. I'm down for hearing about your "crazy mother's friend's sister's brother who just got arrested and then cheated on his baby mama story" at all other points of my day - behind you in the grocery store, while walking my dog, when I'm stuck next to you in traffic - but when I'm next to you on the elliptical, get off the damn phone. Call your sister back later, you're ruining my running focus (and also, I don't know what happened on Chopped now!).
  • Locker rooms. Ladies, we've all got the same goods. Now put them away and either go home or go workout.
  • Grunting. Enough said.
What other things drive you crazy about the gym or athletic club environment?

No comments:

Post a Comment