Since I can't avoid it, I might as well embrace it right? That's what I keep telling myself at least.
This is the year. The year I turn 30. I'm sure there will be minor freak outs along the way (It's still far enough away right now where I'm pretending that its not going to happen - 8 months is a long time!) but right now I'm fine.
I don't feel 30. There are still a lot of moments where I can't believe that I'm turning 30 because I don't really feel like I am. For so long I felt like the time was going by so slowly, and then all of a sudden...poof..I'm turning 30.
You'd think lists like this one "30 Things Turning 30 in 2014" might make me feel better about getting older, when in reality, they don't:
1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
2. Tetris
3. The Cosby Show
7. The Mac (computer)
12. The VMAs
20. Transformers
21. Karate Kid, Footloose, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Gremlins
28. Muppet Babies
30. Ghostbusters
I tend to think a list like this "Olivia Wilde's Advice for Turning 30" is much more my speed:
DON'T freak out about all the brilliant people who accomplished more than you by 30.
DO enjoy your sexual prime.
DON'T propose to the next guy you meet just because you worry he'll be your last chance at lifelong companionship.
DON'T feel pressured to pop out kids.
DO reap the benefits of your accumulated wisdom.
DO learn a new skill.
DON'T be bogged down by your past.
So then the question is - how do I make this year memorable? I've heard of people doing 30 adventurous things during their 30th year or 30 random acts of kindness leading up to their birthday. I want to do something but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Suggestions are more than welcome!
LOVE the second list you mention -- definitely use that for inspiration. :-) I'd suggest just a "30 Before 30" list (and don't expect to get 'er done...'cuz I didn't 100% finish mine) that you could use as a bucket list of sorts. Use it to finally organize your closets...or to do an adventurous thing...or to take a memorable vacation. List whatever you want to achieve before you reach 30, whether it's quirky, random, crazy, mundane...whatev! And post about it. Yes, that. ;-) Just an idea!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that idea! :) I'm going to have to start working on it! And I will post about it, for sure!
Delete